NUI Galway has a distinguished reputation for teaching and research excellence. This reputation is reflected in our performance in various University League Tables.
In 2009 NUI Galway was named the Sunday Times University of the Year for 2009/10, while in the Times Higher Education World University Ranking, the University has jumped almost 250 places in two years to rank 243 rd in the world.
Top quality teaching is our number one priority at NUI Galway. Our lecturers are working at the forefront of their subject area, bringing the latest ideas and discoveries into the lecture theatre. Our students are challenged to achieve their full potential by taking an active part in their learning.
Our commitment to excellence in teaching and research attracts high-calibre students from all over the world. More than 2,000 international students from over 90 countries, choose to study here.
A research-led University
NUI Galway is a research-led University with internationally recognised expertise in selected priority areas.
Research at NUI Galway is forward-thinking and global in scale. Today we are leading the field in a wide range of areas including stem cell and gene therapy research, human rights law, environmental change, and developing the next generation of internet technology.
Our key research achievements include:
- Home to two Science Foundation Ireland-funded Centres for Science, Engineering and Technology (CSETs), our Digital Enterprise research Institute (DERI) and our Regenerative Medicine Institute (REMEDI)
- Awarded Republic of Ireland's first UNESCO Chair in Children's Youth and Civic Engagement
- The world's leading experts in Human Rights Law
- Ireland 's leading Marine and Environmental Research Centres
- Ireland 's primary centre for stem cell and gene therapy research and regenerative medicine
- DERI, the world's largest research institute of internet technology
Much of our research is translational; we have developed excellent research and development collaborations with national and multi-national industry partners. NUI Galway is Ireland's leading University for knowledge transfer with more spin out companies, licenses and patents created in the last three years, than any other Irish university.
Read the latest news about NUI Galway
- 17,000 students.
- 2,000 international students from 92 countries.
- 2,400 staff members.
- 120 links with universities across the globe.
- 90,000 alumni in 107 countries.
NUI Galway is:
- Ireland's top University for student retention - Sunday Times 2011.
- Irelands's top Univerisity for graduate employability with 96% of our graduates employed or in further study within six months of graduating.
NUI Galway is world leading for research in:
- Biomedical Science and Engineering
- Web Science
- Human Rights
- Marine Science, Energy and Environmental Science
- Applied Social Sciences and Public Policy
Humanities, in particular literature, Theatre and Irish Studies
NUI Galway was awarded the QS Five star rating - 2012