Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a rang of key areas of expertise.
- Research Office
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at NUI Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at NUI Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
|NUI Galway has a distinguished reputation for teaching and research excellence.|
This reputation is reflected in our performance in various University League Tables.
We are one of just two universities in Ireland who have been awarded five stars in the prestigious QS star ranking. Times Higher Education ranks us 3rd best university in Ireland. Meanwhile, five of our disciplines were listed in the QS World University Rankings by Subject. They are:
- Computer Science and Info Systems
- English Language and Literature
- Pharmacy and Pharmacology
Top quality teaching is our number one priority at NUI Galway. Our lecturers are working at the forefront of their subject area, bringing the latest ideas and discoveries into the lecture theatre. Our students are challenged to achieve their full potential by taking an active part in their learning.
Our commitment to excellence in teaching and research attracts high-calibre students from all over the world. More than 2,000 international students from over 90 countries, choose to study here.
|A Research-led University|
NUI Galway is a research-led University with internationally recognised expertise in selected priority areas.
Research at NUI Galway is forward-thinking and global in scale. Today we are leading the field in a wide range of areas including stem cell and gene therapy research, human rights law, environmental change, and developing the next generation of internet technology.
Our key research achievements include:
- Home to two Science Foundation Ireland-funded Centres for Science, Engineering and Technology (CSETs), our Digital Enterprise research Institute (DERI) and our Regenerative Medicine Institute (REMEDI)
- Awarded Republic of Ireland's first UNESCO Chair in Children's Youth and Civic Engagement
- The world's leading experts in Human Rights Law
- Ireland 's leading Marine and Environmental Research Centres
- Ireland 's primary centre for stem cell and gene therapy research and regenerative medicine
- DERI, the world's largest research institute of internet technology
Much of our research is translational; we have developed excellent research and development collaborations with national and multi-national industry partners. NUI Galway is Ireland's leading University for knowledge transfer with more spin out companies, licenses and patents created in the last three years, than any other Irish university.
- 17,000 students.
- 2,000 international students from 92 countries.
- 2,400 staff members.
- 120 links with universities across the globe.
- 90,000 alumni in 107 countries.
- 165 years experience providing university education.
NUI Galway is:
- Ireland's top University for student retention - Sunday Times 2011.
- Irelands's top Univerisity for graduate employability with 96% of our graduates employed or in further study within six months of graduating.
- The largest and oldest university in the west of Ireland.
NUI Galway is world leading for research in:
- Biomedical Science and Engineering
- Web Science
- Human Rights
- Marine Science, Energy and Environmental Science
- Applied Social Sciences and Public Policy
Humanities, in particular literature, Theatre and Irish Studies
NUI Galway was awarded the QS Five star rating - 2012