The three pillars the organisational structure of NUI Galway are Údarás na hOllscoile, the Academic Council and the University Management Team.
Údarás na hOllscoile
Údarás na hOllscoile, the University's governing authority, is responsible for managing and controlling all of the affairs of the University.
Members of Údarás na hOllscoile: February 1, 2009 - January 31, 2013
- Dr. Noel Dorr
- Dr. James J. Browne
ACTING REGISTRAR AND DEPUTY-PRESIDENT
- An tOllamh Nollaig MacCongáil
- Professor Kevin M. Barry (Established Professor of English; Dean of the College of Arts, Social Sciences and Celtic Studies)
- Professor Jane Conroy (Personal Professor of French)
- Professor B.G. Loftus (Established Professor of Paediatrics; Dean of the College of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences)
- Professor Kathy Murphy (Established Professor of Nursing)
OTHER ACADEMIC STAFF
- Dr Therese Mahony (Senior Researcher, Microbiology, and Environmental Change Institute)
- Dr Anthony Grehan (Senior Researcher, Earth and Ocean Sciences)
- Dr Pat Morgan (Senior Lecturer, Biochemistry; Dean of Graduate Studies)
- Dr. James J. Ward (Lecturer, Mathematics)
- Seán Uas. ó Riain (Postdoctoral Researcher, Digital Enterprise Research Institute)
- Dr Eric Mortimer (Senior Technical Specialist, Computer Services)
- Mr James Lenaghan (Chief Technical Officer, Education)
- Michelle Uas. Ní Chróinín (Press and Information Officer)
ELECTED OFFICERS OF COMHALTAS NA MAC LéINN
- Ms Kathryn Hughes (1 Feabhra, 2010 – Eanáir 31, 2011)
GRADUATES, ELECTED BY THE GRADUATES
- Professor Ruth M. Curtis (Personal Professor of Psychology)
- Professor W. Gerard (Ger) Hurley (Personal Professor of Electronic Engineering)
- Professor Hubert McDermott (Personal Professor of English)
- Ms Oonagh Monahan-Quinn (Management Consultant)
ELECTED FROM EXTERNAL ORGANISATIONS
- Maresa Uas. Ní Rinn (Údarás na Gaeltachta)
- Dr Donagh O' Donoghue (Irish Business and Employers' Confederation)
- Feargal Uas. ó Móráin (Enterprise Ireland)
ELECTED BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES
- Councillor Michael J. Crowe (Galway City Council)
- Mr Willie Burke (Galway County Council)
- Councillor Henry Kenny (Mayo County Council)
- Mr Aidan Colleary (Sligo County Council)
- Councillor Domnick Connolly (Roscommon County Council)
- Councillor P.J. Kelly (Clare County Council)
- Professor Aidan O' Reilly ( Emeritus Professor of Business, University of Ulster, Jordanstown)
- Ms Helen Ryan (Chief Executive, Creganna Medical Devices, Galway)
ST. ANGELA'S COLLEGE, SLIGO
- Dr Anne Taheny (President)
- Dr Jane O' Leary (Composer and member of Aosdána)
NOMINATED BY THE MINISTER FOR EDUCATION AND SCIENCE
- Dr Mícheál ó hUiginn (Managing Director, T. O' Higgins & Co. Ltd)
- Dr Catherine Caulfield (Chief Operations Officer, Ovagen Group Ltd.)
- Cllr. Brian Meaney (Clare County Council)
The Academic Council is the chief academic authority and, subject to review by Údarás na hOllscoile, controls the academic affairs of the University, including the curriculum, instruction and education provided by the University.
Members of the Academic Council
The REGISTRAR and DEPUTY PRESIDENT
ACTON, Dr. Thomas
ADEBARI, Mr Dami
ALLEN, Professor Nicholas
ARAMAYONA, Dr. Javier
ARTHUR, Professor Wallace
BARRY, Professor Frank
BARRY, Professor Kevin M.
BARRY, Prof. Margaret
BARTOLONI, Prof. Paolo
BRANNLUND, Ms. Emma
BYRNES, Dr. Lucy
CALLAGY, Professor Grace
CANTILLON, Professor Peter
CARROLL, Dr. Liam
CEREDIG, Professor Rod
CLARKE, Professor Michael
CONBOY, Dr. Kieran
CONROY, Professor Jane
COONEY. Dr. Adeline
CORMICAN, Professor Martin G.
COURELL, Mr. Declan
COX, Mr. John
CROWTHER, Professor Paul
CUNNANE, Professor Con
CURLEY, Mr. Paul
CURTIN, Professor Christopher A.
CURTIS, Professor Ruth
DAINTY, Prof. Chris
DECKER, Professor Stefan
DENVIR, An tOllamh Gearóid
De PAOR, An Dr. Louis
DOCKERY, Professor Peter
DOLAN, Professor Patrick
DUGGAN, Dr. James
DUNNE, Professor Fidelma
EATON, Dr. Pat
EGAN, Professor Laurence
ELLIS, Professor Steven G.
ERIKSSONS, Professor Leif Axel
FEATHERSTONE, Professor Brigid
FLEMING, Dr. Declan
FRAZIER, Professor Adrian
GLACKEN, Dr. Michelle
GLYNN, Professor Thomas J.
GOLDEN, Professor William
GRIFFIN, Professor Matthew
GRIMES, Professor Séamus
GROARKE, Dr. Ann Marie
HAHESSY, Ms. Sinéad
HAUSWIRTH, Professor Manfred
HERRING, Dr Edward
HINDE, Professor John Philip
HURLEY, Professor William Gerard
JAMES, Professor Jack
JOSHI, Professor Lokesh
KEOGH, Professor Ivan James
KERIN, Professor Michael
LAFFEY, Professor John
LANG, Dr. Mark
LEEN, Professor Seán
LOFTUS, Professor Brendan G.
LOFTUS, Dr. Kieran
LONERGAN, Dr. Patrick
LOWNDES, Professor Noel F.
LYONS, Ms. Rena
LYONS, Professor Gerard
MAC CONGÁIL, An tOllamh Nollaig
MAC CRAITH, An tOllamh Mícheál
MAC DONNACHA, S. Uas.
MALESEVIC, Dr. Vesna
Mac LABHRAINN, Dr. Iain
McCARTHY, Professor Peter A.
McDONALD, Professor Colm
McDONOUGH, Professor Terence
McGUIRE, Dr. Brian
McHALE, Professor John
McHUGH, Professor Peter
McINTOSH, Dr. Caroline
MORAN, Professor Anthony
MORGAN, Dr. Fearghal
MORGAN, Dr. Pat
MORRISON, Professor John
MULLIGAN, Dr. Emer
MURPHY, Professor Andrew W.M.
MURPHY, Professor Kathleen
MURPHY, Professor Paul V.
NASHEUER, Dr. Heinz-Peter
NÍ DHONNCHADHA, An tOllamh Máirín
NOLAN, Professor Paul J.
O’BRIEN, Professor Timothy
Ó CINNÉIDE, An tOllamh Micheál S.
O’CONNELL, Professor Michael
Ó CRÓINÍN, An tOllamh Dáibhí
O’DONOGHUE, Professor Pádraic E.
O’DOWD, Dr. Colin
O’DWYER, Professor Michael
O’FLAHERTY, Dr. Vincent
Ó GORMAILE, Professor Pádraig S.
O’GRADY, Mr. Séamus
Ó LAIGHIN, An tOllamh Gearóid
O’LEARY, Dr. Patrick
OLIVO, Professor Malini Carolene
Ó MALLEY, Professor William A.
O’MAHONY, Mr Charles
O’NEILL, Professor Ciarán
O’REGAN, Professor Dónal
Ó SHEA, Professor Eamon
O’SULLIVAN, Dr. David
PANDIT, Professor Abhay
PFEIFFER, Dr. Gotz
PILKINGTON, Dr. Lionel
QUINN, Professor Gerard
RICHARDSON, Professor Bill
RYAN, Dr Ray
RYDER, Professor Seán
SAMALI, Professor Afshin
SANTOCANALE, Professor Corrado
SARMA, Dr. Kiran
SCHABAS, Professor Bill
SCHMIDT-HANNISA, Professor Hans W.
SCULLION, Professor Hugh
SEOIGHE, Professor Cathal
SHIEL, Professor Agnes
SHERRY, Professor Thomas
SMITH, Professor Terry
SPILLANE, Professor Charles
STONEMAN, Mr. Rod
STROHMAYER, Professor Ulf
SULLIVAN, Professor Keith
SULLIVAN, Professor Frank
SULLIVAN, Professor Kevin
TULLY, Ms Agnes
Vice President, Education S.U.
WARNOCK, Mr. Keith
WHEATLEY, Professor Antony
WILLIAMS, Professor Michael D.
WOODS, Professor Rob
University Management Team
This team is lead by the President who is the head and chief officer of the University and appointed for a 10-year period. Acting under the President, the various members of the University Management Team (UMT) each have a specific area of responsibility.
Members of the UMT
|President||Dr. James Browne|
|Registrar and Deputy-President||Prof. Nollaig Mac Congáil|
|Vice-President for Capital Projects||Mr Keith Warnock|
|Bursar||Ms Mary Dooley|
|Rúnaí na hOllscoile||Mr Gearóid Ó Conluain|
|Executive Director of Operations||Dr. Kieran Loftus|
|Vice-President for Innovation and Performance||Prof. Chris Curtin|
Read the latest news about NUI Galway
- 17,000 students.
- 2,000 international students from 92 countries.
- 2,400 staff members.
- 120 links with universities across the globe.
- 90,000 alumni in 107 countries.
NUI Galway is:
- Ireland's top University for student retention - Sunday Times 2011.
- Irelands's top Univerisity for graduate employability with 96% of our graduates employed or in further study within six months of graduating.
NUI Galway is world leading for research in:
- Biomedical Science and Engineering
- Web Science
- Human Rights
- Marine Science, Energy and Environmental Science
- Applied Social Sciences and Public Policy
Humanities, in particular literature, Theatre and Irish Studies
NUI Galway was awarded the QS Five star rating - 2012